Friday, July 9, 2010

Of Course It's Hot - It's July!


Call me old fashioned, but I fully expect it to be hot outside on a July afternoon.  I've lived in the southern U.S. my entire life.  If it weren't 95 degrees with a heat index of 105 every afternoon from June through September I would fear that I had been abducted by Siberian aliens.  That's what pools, rootbeer floats, popsicles, water balloon fights and air conditioners are for!  

I can't help but be amused by the news media freaking out this past week over  95+ degree weather in the Northeast.  Last time I checked it was summertime up there, too.  Call me an idiot, but as a result, I would expect it to be hot every now and then, even in New York City...

Don't get me wrong.  It's absolutely horrible to hear of anyone actually dying from heat exhaustion in their own home.  Many times this involves the elderly and/or folks with serious illnesses.  Here in Texas and around the country there are many organizations, like Family Eldercare, who will help folks in need with free fans.  

If you know an elderly person or someone in poor health who is without air conditioning in their home, help them find an agency in their area that can provide assistance during the hot summer months.  Better yet, take them to a movie, or the library during the hottest part of the day.  I bet even Wal-Mart would let you wander around in air conditioned comfort - and they might just sell something to you, too.  

This isn't Global Warming....this is JULY!

No comments: